Sunday, July 28, 2013

"I don't want to hear any local music."


Recently I heard a young lady say that she didn’t want to hear it if it was “local music”.  “Local music”? I asked as I became more and more offended.  She said “Yeah, if it’s music made here in town then I do not want to hear it.“  I explained to her that local music is what keeps music alive and fresh.  Some of the best music out right now comes from the underground scene.  What’s great about the underground scene and local music is that it is for the most part so far from being commercial.  Allowing artists to be themselves and not fear about what the major labels are looking for.  A lot of the time you can find the next best trend, because these artists are not looking to fit in, but instead stand out.  Trust me, I know in 2013 with today’s technology and social media everybody and their grandmother is an artist and poor quality of music becomes a reoccurring theme.  However, you have to realize that “local music” is the prerequisite to mainstream music.  You have to remember that at one point in time Jay Z, Usher, Justin Beiber, and Taylor Swift were all local artists making “local music”.  I currently manage an artist on the local label 56 & Runnin’ Entertainment by the name of Chris DeVille.  Now there is a great chance that you have never heard of neither 56 & Runnin’ or Chris DeVille, but does that mean we produce poor quality music?  In my opinion Chris DeVille’s music can stand up against many mainstream acts.  The only difference is that the right person just hasn’t heard it yet and let’s be honest if you do not have the financial backing you might as well go back to making music a hobby.  You be the judge and check out my artist Chris DeVille’s latest video: 


I hoped you enjoyed the video.  Of course we don’t have the money at this point to hire the big name directors or to purchase the next hot beat from Timbaland, but as a local artist you become resourceful and that goes a longer way than just throwing some money at a project.  At the end of the day, even if we come up short on our goal to make it big, hopefully we can inspire the next aspiring artist to chase his or her dreams.

1 comment: