Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Black Owned, But Not Black Supported


The older I get, the clearer some things become.  Maybe some of these issues that I see are a sign of the times, but as I speak to others not only in my community but in other communities as well, I find that there is a common theme.  "Black folks don't support each other."  Am I wrong for saying this?  I used to think so until I kept hearing it from others.  A recent conversation with producer George "PrettyBoyBeats" Seal solidified that negative statement.


As I spoke with the producer/artist who is currently in Miami promoting his latest single "Rapper Weed"we talked briefly about his music, but we spent the majority of the conversation talking about the lack of support within the African-American community. "Once I started really believing in myself, the hating immediately appeared," Seals said. "It has to be a self hate," stated Seals," It's really sad."  "It's not the white folks holding us back, it's not the police holding us back, it's us!"

The more I spoke with George "PrettyBoyBeats" Seals, the more I had to agree with him.  Yeah, at times it may have seemed like he was just venting, but he was just speaking the truth. The black community is so caught up on the mainstream that we forget about our stream.  We spend money in establishments that don't want us there, we follow the crowd even though we all boasts that we are leaders, and at times we hate to see each other shine.  Let that sink in and really think about it.  We search for excuses to not support our own, but the true reason lies within us.  When something like the Trayvon Martin incident happens, we run to support the cause and together we stand, but why only in times of tragedy do we stand together?  Why does it take Donald Sterling to say he doesn't want black people at his team's games for us to unite?  As an individual I can be good, but together WE can be great.  Other races come together to reach their goals; when are we going to?  Let's think less me and more we.

The conversation I had with PrettyBoyBeats was not the one I was honestly looking for, but it was real and a topic that definitely needs brought to the light.  As far as the music goes…George loves what he does and wouldn't change it for the world.


Listen to his latest single "Rapper Weed" below and check out the official website of George "PrettyBoyBeats" Seals at www.prettyboybeats.com.


Do blacks support each other enough?  Can we do better? Let us know and comment below.
Follow us on Twitter @Roundtable_Emp

No comments:

Post a Comment